About Me

My photo
Hello, dear viewer, and thank you for visiting my blog! I am a dedicated (and certified) Food Coach and Personal Trainer with a very individual attitude to coaching. I search to look beyond people's health issues and modify their lifestyles so that they can live a healthier life, increase vitality and longevity. Recently as a strong believer in natural healing I have published two books on Ayurveda and how to use Ayurveda lifestyle and food at home. Further, I am very much into TCM and the concept of original Chinese Food, especially after my recent stay in China. I am striving to become a Yoga expert through intense training and am practicing some kind of exercise every single day. My second blog http://thrumyeyes-kat.blogspot.com/ is dedicated to my passion to capture the world with my camera and create my own world like that. Everything you will find on these pages about nutrition and exercising is authentic and self-tested. Enjoy and don't forget to send me your comments, which are always welcome in my attempt to meet your expectations even better!

Sunday 21 November 2010

Healthy food for a fit body

Dear readers,

here I am online again after the Eid holiday to enlighten you with further healthy recipes (I have not forgotten Christmas!)and exercises to get back on track after a week of lazing around on beaches, going out for delicious food and maybe not exercising all thaaat much (unless you are one of these really admirably disciplined persons).

Let me start with a recipe for a truly mouthwatering THAI MACKEREL SALAD.

 Some facts about Mackerel: This very nutritious fish somehow always seems to be slumbering in some dark corner of the food department in our brains. It is not the first to come to your mind when you start considering a nice fish dinner. That is not what this fishy deserves! Read on please:



Nutrition & Health Benefits of Eating Mackerel
  • Mackerel helps in reducing cancer-causing agents in cells, thus preventing the risk of different cancers.
  • It regulates the hormone level and makes blood vessels and capillaries more elastic.
  • By reducing blood coagulation, mackerel eliminates the deposition of cholesterol.
  • The fish also helps in reducing the bad cholesterol (LDL) and lowering blood pressure.
  • It prevents cardiovascular diseases, strengthens the immune system, improves functions of organs weakened by illness and regulates metabolism.
  • Mackerel helps in easing the pain of migraine, arthrosis and arthritis. It also improves brain activity and thus, enhances the memory through the essential fish oils.
So, maybe now you became a tiny bit fond of that blue fish! Let me share this recipe with you:

(serves 4)
Preparation time: 45 mins


1 small fresh whole mackerel (200g) 
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp juice from green limes
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 red chillies, finely chopped
6 slices ginger, finely chopped
2 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
50g crushed roasted peanuts
1 sprig coriander leaves
2 heads leafy green lettuce, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces


Clean and scale the fish (unless obviously you got the ready-to-serve mackerel fillets, which I always buy from Spinney's) and rub with the salt, then allow to marinate for 10 minutes. Heat the oil in a wok and fry the fish until nicely browned. Cool, then flake the flesh, discarding the skin and bones.
Combine the flaked fish with all the other ingredients except the coriander and lettuce and toss well.


Arrange the lettuce on a serving platter and place the fish mixture on top, then garnish with the coriander leaves. Eat like that if you're on a non-carb diet or serve with rice and enjoy the intake of all these beautiful nutrients.


Unfortunately I had to make this just a boring written post today as my computer is still on holiday mode and has absolutely no intentions to let me add some pictures! Sorry about that!


Have a great day and stay tuned....tummy exercises coming up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment