in our part of the world another weekend is coming up, you will all have amazing plans and I will just share a recipe, which I prepared today at lunch. It is easy and quick to prepare, tastes delicious and provides you with a lot of good things.
I used PEARL BARLEY for this salad, which is a nutritional powerhouse. Plus it is good for your WHEAT-FREE diet (not gluten free!), it is a low GI food and thus extremely good for diabetic persons. It is full of fiber, so include it in your diet if you want to lose weight, it will keep your blood sugar levels balanced for a long time.
Barley contains lots of vitamins and minerals including niacin (Vitamin B3), thiamine ( Vitamin B1), selenium, iron, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus and copper as well as antioxidants, which work to slow down the rate of oxidative damage by gathering up free radicals that form when body cells use oxygen.
Here is how it goes :)
1. Boil the quantity of barley you would like to have
2. Chop all kinds of veggies, I used multicolor bell peppers (Vitamin C!), cucumber and cherry tomatoes and also add a small handful of spring onions
3. Prepare a dressing of extra virgin olive oil, organic yogurt, dried or fresh mint, salt and pepper and dried or fresh basil.
4. Let the boiled barley stand to cool off a bit, then mix it with the veggies and drizzle over the dressing.
5. Enjoy a hearty, wholesome meal for lunch or dinner.
You might add some sunflower seeds or roasted pine nuts if you like.