About Me

My photo
Hello, dear viewer, and thank you for visiting my blog! I am a dedicated (and certified) Food Coach and Personal Trainer with a very individual attitude to coaching. I search to look beyond people's health issues and modify their lifestyles so that they can live a healthier life, increase vitality and longevity. Recently as a strong believer in natural healing I have published two books on Ayurveda and how to use Ayurveda lifestyle and food at home. Further, I am very much into TCM and the concept of original Chinese Food, especially after my recent stay in China. I am striving to become a Yoga expert through intense training and am practicing some kind of exercise every single day. My second blog http://thrumyeyes-kat.blogspot.com/ is dedicated to my passion to capture the world with my camera and create my own world like that. Everything you will find on these pages about nutrition and exercising is authentic and self-tested. Enjoy and don't forget to send me your comments, which are always welcome in my attempt to meet your expectations even better!

Thursday 16 December 2010

Fruits and vitamins - a healthy choice: The Kaki or Persimmon

Dear readers,

sometimes I feel like the Enterprise - always excitedly on the quest for new, interesting food, recipes, vitamins etc. And sometimes in my universe an unexpected little star comes flying by and enlightens my nutritionist horizon. As happened a few days ago when a friend of mine introduced me to a fruit I did not know so far: The persimmon or kaki fruit! It does not just always have to be oranges and apples! YAY! Maybe you did not know them, either, so have a look at this:


They say it looks a bit like a tomato...well...anyway, I think it looks nice and it tastes nice! Plus it has a loooot to offer:


A firm kaki you can just eat like an apple. A soft, very mature one you can spoon out like a kiwi. Buy firm ones, you can keep them in the fridge for about 2 weeks. 


Kakis contain a lot of bioactive ingredients, like fibre, iron, Vitamin C, A and B  and a lot of carotinoides. These substances neutralize those ugly free radicals and can thus protect you from arteriosclerosis and cancer. 


A kaki covers your complete daily need of carotinoids (great for me, I do not eat any carrots!). 


Apart from just washing them, cutting them up and eating them like apples you could puree them and use them for cremes or make a quick dessert putting them through a nice thick Greek yogurt. Also, they are very nice in light, exotic meals with curry.



I found the following recipe, which I find absolutely delicious:


Red snapper with Sharon fruits (= Kaki)


For 2 persons you need:

2 red snapper filets (a 150g)
Salt and Pepper
1,5 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Kaki (a 150g)
10g butter
1/2 small onion
1/2 small cornichons (40g)
250ml vegetable stock 
100g low fat creme fraiche


Preparation:
Wash the fish fillets and dry them with tissues. Season them with salt, pepper and oil and pan fry them for about 4 minutes from both sides. Put them on a plate and keep them warm.


Wash and clean the kaki fruit, cut it into slices. Chop the onion and cornichons. Bring stock to a boil. Meanwhile heat butter in a pan and fry the onion until golden. Add cornichons. Slowly add stock, allow liquid to boil down a bit. Add kaki slices, bring to a boil and simmer for very few minutes. In the end add creme fraiche and serve with the fish fillets. 


Along with the dish you can serve some jasmin or basmati rice.


Maybe this is a nice dish to serve at one of your christmas get-togethers! 







No comments:

Post a Comment