About Me

My photo
Hello, dear viewer, and thank you for visiting my blog! I am a dedicated (and certified) Food Coach and Personal Trainer with a very individual attitude to coaching. I search to look beyond people's health issues and modify their lifestyles so that they can live a healthier life, increase vitality and longevity. Recently as a strong believer in natural healing I have published two books on Ayurveda and how to use Ayurveda lifestyle and food at home. Further, I am very much into TCM and the concept of original Chinese Food, especially after my recent stay in China. I am striving to become a Yoga expert through intense training and am practicing some kind of exercise every single day. My second blog http://thrumyeyes-kat.blogspot.com/ is dedicated to my passion to capture the world with my camera and create my own world like that. Everything you will find on these pages about nutrition and exercising is authentic and self-tested. Enjoy and don't forget to send me your comments, which are always welcome in my attempt to meet your expectations even better!

Sunday 27 March 2011

Health food - The date

Dear readers,

having lived in the Middle East for more than three years now, dates obviously have become an essential part of my nutrition. I have known them for much longer of course and even my Guru in India always recommended the consumption of 3 dates a day to give me strength.

So, today I would like to quickly enlighten you about this highly nutritious food item that grows on palm trees all around us in this part of the world.


People of the Middle East have been consuming dates since many centuries because of their high nutritional value. They are believed to come from Northern Africa originally. 

Apart from being rich in natural fibers, dates also comprise of a lot of other nutrients, like oil, calcium, sulfur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper, magnesium, etc.

In fact, it is said that one date is a minimum of a balanced and healthy diet. Following please find a list of the various health and nutrition benefits of eating dates. 






Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Dates 
  • Since dates get digested very easily, they are used for supplying quick energy and repairing waste.
  • Milk, when boiled with dates, become a very nutritious and invigorating drink for children and adults, especially during convalescence.
  • The nicotinic content in dates makes them an excellent cure for intestinal disturbances.
  • Regular consumption of dates has been found to check the growth of pathological organisms and help in the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestines.
  • Being a laxative food, dates have been found to be beneficial for those suffering from constipation.
  • For alcoholic intoxication, drinking water, in which fresh dates have been rubbed or soaked, is said to be quite effective.
  • Studies have shown that consumption of dates, soaked overnight and crushed, is good for those who have a weak heart.
  • It has been seen that dates serve as a tonic for improving sex stamina as well as sterility due to functional disorders.
  • Researches have revealed that dates are effective in preventing abdominal cancer.
  • Dates have a tonic effect and thus, hold value as medicines. 
  •  
So, what are we waiting for? :) But please be careful, dates also obviously contain a lot of sugar, so don't overeat. I usually follow the rule of 3 dates/day my Guru gave me, that is absolutely sufficient.

 
Date Syrup contains the same beneficial nutrients and if you mix it with a bit of Tahina it not only makes a delicious bread spread, but provides you with a lot of nutritional value.

You can use dates when baking, they are fantastic wrapped in ham. I recently had them together with some savory cheese bites or you just chop them over your Muesli together with some walnuts and almonds.



Have a great and healthy Sunday! 



No comments:

Post a Comment