About Me

My photo
Hello, dear viewer, and thank you for visiting my blog! I am a dedicated (and certified) Food Coach and Personal Trainer with a very individual attitude to coaching. I search to look beyond people's health issues and modify their lifestyles so that they can live a healthier life, increase vitality and longevity. Recently as a strong believer in natural healing I have published two books on Ayurveda and how to use Ayurveda lifestyle and food at home. Further, I am very much into TCM and the concept of original Chinese Food, especially after my recent stay in China. I am striving to become a Yoga expert through intense training and am practicing some kind of exercise every single day. My second blog http://thrumyeyes-kat.blogspot.com/ is dedicated to my passion to capture the world with my camera and create my own world like that. Everything you will find on these pages about nutrition and exercising is authentic and self-tested. Enjoy and don't forget to send me your comments, which are always welcome in my attempt to meet your expectations even better!

Sunday 6 March 2011

Strawberries - a healthy choice

"Strawberries are the angels of the earth: innocent and sweet with green leafy wings reaching heavenward."


For me they definitely are, always have been. How we just couldn't wait for May to come and with it the sweet taste of strawberries.

Nowadays strawberries are available all year round, even though the best ones are still the ones you plant in your own garden, you more or less patiently wait for them to grow and you then pluck and indulge in.

Strawberries are a health food: rich in nitrate they can increase the flow of blood and oxygen to the muscles by seven per cent. This prevents muscle fatigue, so when you are exercising they are a good food to have. But even if you are not! 
Strawberries are a package of valuable nutrition, they have more Vitamin C than many citrus fruits (even the old Romans knew of their value) and high in fiber, folate, antioxidants and potassium. One cup of strawberries has the following nutritional value:


Serving size: 1 cup fresh strawberries (166 grams)
Calories 50-55
Protein 1 gram
Carbohydrates 11.65 grams
Dietary Fiber 3.81 grams
Calcium 23.24 mg
Iron 0.63 mg
Magnesium 16.60 mg
Phosporus 31.54 mg
Potassium 44.82 mg
Selenium 1.16 mg
Vitamin C 94.12 mg
Folate 29.38 mcg
Vitamin A 44.82 IU

So, add them to your diet!

One example is the following, a bit extravagant recipe, which I found. Strawberries are also excellent in a Risotto or combined with green asparagus and freshly ground black pepper.

Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

(6 servings)
-3 tbsp honey
-3 tbsp light mayonnaise
-2 tbsp low fat milk
-1 tbsp poppy seeds
-1 tbsp white wine vinegar (I prefer Balsamico, it is great with strawberries)
-10-ounce bag romaine lettuce, roughly torn
-1 cup sliced strawberries
-2 tbsp toasted silvered almonds

Combine the honey, mayonnaise, milk, poppy seeds and vinegar in a small bowl and whisk well.
Place lettuce in a large bowl. Add the strawberries and almonds and toss lightly. Divide among individual serving plates and drizzle each with about 1 tablespoon dressing.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment